[extropy-chat] Humans--non-rational mode [was Failure of low-fat diet]

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Feb 22 22:37:40 UTC 2006

At 11:14 AM 2/22/2006 -0800, Hal wrote:

snip--good stuff

>These MRI studies are a great new window into how people think.  I'm sure
>we will see much more research along these lines, as the machines are
>becoming widely available.  Taking that earlier study I mentioned and
>repeating it under an MRI machine would be an interesting test.
>
>Keith goes on:
> > Now to raise this to a meta level, why do people get stuck on preconceived
> > expectations?
>
>That's a much harder problem.  Just to take illustrate the difficulty,
>I think the first thing you need to decide in looking for an explanation
>is whether this behavior is a good idea or not.  The class of explanations
>you will explore will depend fundamentally on whether you see this as a
>reasonable heuristic for a rational observer with potentially stringent
>bounds on his available computational capacity; or whether you see it
>as irrational behavior in terms of getting at the truth, but justified
>in terms of other benefits, such as social advantages.
>
>I couldn't even answer this basic question, whether this behavior makes
>sense in terms of getting at the truth of things.  I can see arguments
>either way on that one.  So I won't even stick a toe in the water of
>possible explanations.

In the last year or two I have been subjected to a dawning horror that
genes have not only built mechanisms into humans to allow them to think
rationally, but mechanisms to shut off rational thinking when doing so is
in the interest of the gene.

I have gone into some detail about that in both recent postings and that
paper of mine that is still looking to be published.

On reconsideration though I should not have been surprised when you
consider how common irrational behavior is.

I about half way suspect that non-rational behaviors may all have roots in
the same evolved brain mechanism.  By way of analogy, humans have a
capture-bonding mechanisms because of heavy selection.  (If you didn't bond
when captured, you usually died--while those who did bond to captors often
became ancestors, *our* ancestors.)

Once you understand humans have the capture-bonding mechanism lurking in
their bag of psychological traits (and that it is isn't *that* hard to
activate) all kinds of things can be understood.  For example, basic
training, "a mildly traumatic experience intended to produce a bond,"
hazing, battered wife syndrome, and the "reward mechanisms" that lie behind
kinky sex practices such as S&M and B&D and probably others.

I think I can account for non-rational thinking/behavior for humans in "war
mode."  You must use invoke Hamilton's inclusive fitness to understand that
at times the "interest" of a person's genes diverge from *his*
interest.  I.e., genes should build mechanisms into brains where a person
will sacrifice themselves if doing so will save more gene copies than are
lost by the person making the sacrifice.

(More long winded version, genes to take insane risks to save groups of
relatives will become more common over time than ones to save one's own
skin in an environment where such choices as above happened "frequently".)

I think a darn good case can be made that humans who go into "war mode" are
in a non-rational state.

Now, like capture-bonding, "war mode" may be easy to trigger at a
"sub-clinical" level, particularly for politics (war by other means) and
religions (seed xenophobic memes--useful to take a tribe into full blown
war against the next tribe over when hard times are a-coming).

How this feeds into defense mechanisms for beliefs (such as in low fat
diets) may take fMRI.

And I willingly state that the underlying psychological mechanisms could be
unrelated.

Comments would be appreciated.

Keith Henson