[extropy-chat] Failure of low-fat diet

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Wed Feb 22 22:51:06 UTC 2006

At 11:11 PM 2/21/2006, Keith Henson wrote:
> >quick to use the flaws to dismiss studies whose conclusions they
> don't like,
> >and they hardly notice the flaws of the studies whole conclusions
> they do like.
>
>... Now to raise this to a meta level, why do people get stuck on
>preconceived
>expectations?
>
>Ground rules are: your explanation for this psychological trait has to have
>its origin in the stone age among hunter gather tribes *and* it has to have
>contributed to our ancestor's "reproductive success."    You may need to
>invoke Hamilton's inclusive fitness in your model to account for this trait.
>
>I don't have more than a foggy idea of how to account for why people get
>stuck on preconceived expectations, but this is the formula for attacking
>the question.
>
>Any ideas?

Well I suggest starting with http://hanson.gmu.edu/belieflikeclothes.html
If we understand why people get attached to clothing or music styles, we
can understand why they get attached to abstract beliefs.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323