[extropy-chat] Failure of low-fat diet

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Thu Feb 23 17:58:56 UTC 2006

At 12:31 PM 2/23/2006, Russell Wallace wrote:
> >>It shows graphs of the mortality rates as a function of time.  There
> >>isn't much apparent effect at the time when famous vaccines were
> introduced.
> >But you didn't answer my question. What do you think stopped people
> >dying of those diseases, if it wasn't the vaccines?
>
>There are lots of logical possibilities, and my state of belief is
>that I am very uncertain about which one it might be.   You said
>before that you couldn't believe the evidence I pointed you to,
>because you had a mountain of contrary evidence, but at this point it
>looks like you just have a presumption and lack of imagination.
>
>The paper you pointed me to showed some weak evidence that the last
>third of health care spending is useless. Not strong enough to be
>taken seriously, in fact, except that health care spending is a
>strongly 90/10 affair (the cost of medicine is usually in strong
>_inverse_ proportion to its effectiveness), so the claim is a priori plausible.
>For the claim that the entire enterprise of health, hygiene and
>sanitation for the last couple of centuries has been useless, it
>provided not even weak evidence, merely some vague handwaving.
>Handwaving for a claim whose truth would require existential
>conspiracy well beyond "the moon landings were a hoax" and
>approaching "God created the world in 4004 BC complete with fake
>fossils" territory.
>No, I can't mathematically prove the last 200 years of history
>aren't a fake, or that longer lifespans aren't really the result of
>psychic emanations from Zeta Reticuli carefully timed to correspond
>to distribution of vaccines, antibiotics etc ...

My paper cited a bunch of papers, not just one.   I have taught
health economics for seven years now, and my course syllabus (on the
web) gives more cites.   And I have studied even more papers over the
years. Since you say there is a mountain of evidence on the other
side, how about you cite something you consider to be strong evidence?

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323