[extropy-chat] Mangled Worlds

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Sun Feb 26 18:00:34 UTC 2006

Robin wrote in reply to Hal

> Your picture seems to be of big worlds that spit off tiny worlds which then
> immediately start to become mangled.

But we are trying to reconcile your results with previous notions of a
"fraying" multiverse. That is, in David Deutsch's view (and MWI in general)
at any point in a universe we are inhabiting, there is a small amplitude
for almost anything to occur. Hence the "spitting off" of tiny worlds.
To what degree do you reject this standard MWI way of looking at it?

> Instead picture grains of dust which slowly float and grind each other
> into smaller pieces, until a big cloud of them smash into an airless moon.
> Under this picture most of the experience in the small worlds is in the
> floating phase, and only a small part in the smash phase.

But then, I take it, most of one's experience then should be in the major
measure "airless moons" of vast mass and high probability. If so, then
this too tends to diminish expectations of getting mangled.

Besides, if I recall correctly, you or someone objected to a certain
popularization of your idea, namely that there is a reasonable chance
that after a few more years of placid existence, the world we
inhabit may get snuffed. Is that really a consequence of your theory?

Lee