[extropy-chat] META: Subject Line Mechanics

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 26 21:54:16 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Lee Corbin
> Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:13 AM
> To: Exi-Chat
> Subject: [extropy-chat] META: Subject Line Mechanics
>
> Can someone tell me what happens when subject lines are changed?
> In particular, suppose that one politely alters a subject line
> by use of the "(was: XXXX)" construction---and then later removes
> the parenthetical expression altogether, thus completing the
> change... As always, change outdated subject lines, please... Lee

Thanks Lee, ja we have never had any hard and fast rules on this, altho
Robert and others have asked for subject line discipline.  The "was: XXXX)"
feature helps an archive user bridge back to the original topic.  We have
seen how discussions morph in a most delightful way on ExI-chat.  Use your
judgment on making subject lines agree with the text.  Otherwise when an
emergent AI goes thru the archives reading everything we wrote, it may
become puzzled and decide to destroy humanity just to simplify its theory of
carbon-based intelligence.