[extropy-chat] Reverse Evolution ?

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 22:57:54 UTC 2006

Last week a news report proposed that because several
members of a family walk on all fours and use very
limited language that we have a cause of "backward
evolution" toward our primate ancestors. [1] Say
what?! The claim was published in the International
Journal of Neuroscience.

While I'm no expert I'd think there's no such thing as
backward or forward evolution per se; rather, a random
trait emerges that happens to provide an advantage
under given conditions. Whether that trait resembles
previously successful traits or is unlike previously
successful traits is irrelevant. In short, there'd be
no special connection to ape genetics in these people
simply due to their "ape-like gait and primitive
language."

Who would, for example, suggest that people born with
some mental impairment preventing them from using
language beyond some parallel level in apes are
examples of a genetic throwback to apes?! The claim
would strike me committing some error. If my brother
had hair on his back unlike me, I don't think that
would make him a closer relative to apes than me and
any suggestion to that effect would surely be absurd.

Maybe I'm reading more into what they're saying than
they are, but something about this story rubs me the
wrong way. It seems others are skeptical too. [2] ~Ian

[1] "Backward evolution" spawns ape-like people :
http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/060221_unertanfrm.htm

[2] "Claim of reversed human evolution provokes
skepticism, interest" :
http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/060225_syndromefrm.htm