[extropy-chat] All hail Will Wilkinson

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 08:49:51 UTC 2006

In high school we had farting contests like all kids. We also did a
lot of sport, and of course the best football player won status. Why
not? I liked it and later I have always enjoyed competition in sport,
work and other things.
I think Wilkinson's piece is good, and nobody wants to ban games where
you can win status. But I think our civilization can now outgrow the
primitive need to link ability to survive to status. I would say,
first make sure that everyone can eat and feed his family, then
"encourage a decentralized entrepreneurial culture where status
domains without number may bloom". Football is much more enjoyable if
you do not fear starving if your team loses the game.
G.