[extropy-chat] Playing Go & demandingness in ethics

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 13:25:11 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a good question. For myself, I don't subscribe to strict
> utilitarianism, or the idea that strangers automatically have a right to
> claim my time or other resources;

### I do subscribe to a form of strict consequentialism, *and* I do
not think that strangers have any a priori right to my time or
resources.

The apparent contradiction is solved when you weigh your own utility
in the assessment of consequences: If I feel disinclined to give to
others, the disutility of taking from me outweighs any claims on my
property (outside of Kaldor-Hicks criteria) that could stem from the
inclinations of others.

I cannot demand much of others, therefore, not much may be demanded of
me (although I can be generous if asked nicely).

Rafal