[extropy-chat] Re: anarcho-capitalism

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 06:25:18 UTC 2006

This is a response that Brett sent to me accidentally (I think)
offlist - let me share our exchange with you.

Brett wrote:

> Ah, its the "replacing a government monopoly" bit which I meant
> "could never work in practice", but I also mean and probably should
> have said in our lifetime by my reckonning of our life expectancy.

### I am more optimistic about our life expectancy, which leads me to
optimism about anarchocapitalism but I agree that assuming the
unenhanced human lifespan this political option would be unavailable
to us.

> Boutique forms of local government might be possible under an
> umbrella global government that was very thin in terms of what
> it oversaw but in our lifetime the closest we will get to that is likely
> to be something not very different to an expanded USA style nation
> state and/or a UN structure. Smaller stuff that seeks to escape
> scrutiny and accountability to the US will be hunted down by the
> nation state that the US is becoming.

### Yes, the world government is on the rise, may its bestial claws be
too slow to catch the nimble ones before the first laser torch is
hoisted in space and the carbon sails are set aglow.

(I am referring to one of the possible ways to start interstellar
expansion, using lasers to boost sailships to 0.1c speeds - their
carbon sails would glow white-hot during the boost phase)

It gives me a tingle - just think about it: To sail to the stars on
ships burning with white fire!
-----------------------------------
Me:
>   Suffice to say that non-centralized
> maintenance of both primary and secondary public goods is possible,
> given sufficiently high intelligence and very long timeframes for
> motivation.

Brett:
>     Ah, theres the rub *given* sufficiently high intelligence and a very
>     long timeframe for motivation :-)

### Yeah, I am not, like, agitating to organize your PPO (Private
Protection Organization) tomorrow. Someday, in an Oorts Cloud object
far away....

Rafal