[extropy-chat] Ice cores show warming 'natural' (or not)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 17:29:27 UTC 2006

--- Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> The
> sooner people see
> nanotechnology development as an "easy" solution to
> global warming, the more
> investment will shift in that direction and as a
> side effect generate
> nanocapabilities sooner (saving a significant
> fraction of the people that
> die every year due to a lack of nanocapabilities to
> deal with things like
> heart disease, cancer, aging in general, etc.).

Yes, Robert, but until enough people start to see
global warming as a PROBLEM (oddly enough it need not
actually BE a problem, mind you, merely percieved as
one), it will not warrant a SOLUTION, nanotech or
otherwise. By your own logic then, every transhumanist
should be scaring the wits out of their neighbors with
the threat of global warming even if they don't
actually believe there is a threat. Simply because it
will accelerate progress in nanotechnology. Once
developed those technologies could be used for SENS
and other applications. I think if there is a
shortcoming amongst transhumanists, it is that they
look so far into the future that they get ahead of
themselves. It's like trying to drive looking through
a telescope. What does it matter if you can see your
destination from miles away if you cannot see the
obstacles immediately in front of you?

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)