[extropy-chat] WTA matters

Hughes, James J. james.hughes at trincoll.edu
Thu Jan 12 14:11:14 UTC 2006

Since ExI is an affiliate of the WTA, and we share many members in
common, I thought I would post my response to some of the recent
discussion of those issues here. Voting members of the WTA are welcome
to participate in the discussion on our list for voting members.

---

Sometimes its helpful to remind ourselves what an incredibly diverse
organization we are. We have members in 100 countries, with views that
range from far left to far right, and many that are just unchartable. We
have every religious persuasion among our members, and many strongly
critical of religion. Its hard to keep all that diversity moving
together without occasional friction.

On the matter of Danila Medvedev, the Board is currently investigating
and reviewing the matter, and is scheduled to take up the motion to
expel him next week. Some of his stated views are quite offensive, and
we welcome input on whether they warrant expulsion and/or moderation.
The relevant sections of the WTA Constitution are Article 3 Section 9
and Article 11 Section 8:
http://www.transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/constitution/

As to Mr. Cordeiro, its certainly been invigorating having him on the
Board. I wish him well in his future endeavors. Most of his concerns
about WTA governance have been reviewed here, and by the WTA Board,
previously. But we can answer any questions members may have about them.

As to my personal failings, insofar as they have to do with my
personality, my next book is about Buddhism, the neurosciences and the
cultivation of personal virtues such as patience, compassion and
skillful communication. The challenges of the WTA have certainly given
me a lot of opportunity to reflect on those qualities, especially
patience, over the last two years. If any of you have advise on ways I
can improve my communication skills, and my work on behalf of the WTA,
please let me know: director at transhumanism.org. Please be frank.

Since Mr. Cordeiro has withdrawn from the Board election, we are left
with five candidates for five positions, so, with the permission of the
Board, I'll close the election today.

James Hughes Ph.D.
Secretary-Treasurer
Executive Director
World Transhumanist Assoc.   Inst. for Ethics & Emerging Tech.
http://transhumanism.org     http://ieet.org
director at transhumanism.org   director at ieet.org
Editor, Journal of Evolution and Technology http://jetpress.org

Mailing Address: Box 128, Willington CT 06279 USA
(office) 860-297-2376