[extropy-chat] next generation of ion engines

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 14 21:18:17 UTC 2006

That will work for getting things to orbital altitude.  There's
a big difference between orbital altitude and orbital velocity.
Better ion engines would be of possible use for stationkeeping,
and for the sats they launch - but doesn't really strike me as
something they would get uber-excited about.  That said, they're
also well short of the edge of space: their latest mission only
got to about 78 thousand feet, well short of 100 km (about 328
thousand feet).