[extropy-chat] Re: Kurzweil on C-SPAN2

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 22:34:33 UTC 2006

I only caught the tail end of this.  It seems to be an old show (perhaps
taped 11/30/2005).

I'm also not sure about how "wonderful" it was.  Ray clearly got the answer
to the question about solving the energy problem wrong (citing the need for
solar power applications of nanotechnology coming online in 15-20 years as
the solution when biotechnology and "whole genome engineering" could
probably solve it in less than 5 years (IMO) .  He did nothing more than add
some estimation of the arrival dates of a technology predicted by Drexler in
EOC in 1986 (20 years ago!) [1].

It also seemed to me that many of his answers to questions from the audience
did not really address their questions directly.

Robert

1. http://www.foresight.org/EOC/EOC_Chapter_8.html
(search for solar power)