[extropy-chat] Looking for examples of naturally evolved X-ray vision?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jan 17 23:32:10 UTC 2006

At 10:37 PM 1/17/2006 +0100, Alfio Puglisi wrote:

> > Now, five billion years later,
>
>more like five hundred millions years later. Dry land wasn't highly
>priced in the real estate market before then.

An interesting book on this topic is: Parker, Andrew In the Blink of an
Eye: The Cause of the Most Dramatic Event in the History of Life, London:
The Free Press, 2003.

Here's a chunk from my own book FEROCIOUS MINDS:

It is slightly shocking that for nearly four billion years our planet’s
most complicated creatures were bacteria, algae, single-celled primitive
creatures: bland, living on sunlight like plants but unable to see by its
illumination. For most of the tenure of life on earth, long before insects
and dinosaurs and rats and us, the light was on­but nobody interesting was
at home. Life changed and diversified, but at an excruciatingly slow pace.
A little more than half a billion years ago, everything accelerated, in an
extraordinary burst of evolutionary inventiveness. That surge in novelty,
when complicated life galloped into existence, is known as the Cambrian
explosion.
           We don't have much instinct for these sorts of numbers. Yes,
half a billion years is a tremendous span, equivalent to ten million
pre-industrial human lifetimes strung out one after the other, and for all
our antiquity humans have only been here for a thousand generations. If an
average lifespan today represents the history of life on the planet, a
human would be a very strange monster indeed. For the first 68 years or so,
you would remain a single celled embryo, patient and mindless in your
mother's womb. Abruptly, in a single month, you would start developing in
earnest. Clumsy speech and dexterity would be delayed until the closing
days of your 80th year, and true intelligence would not blossom until the
final few hours.
           Self-preening, we stress that final burst into brilliant
intellect, and disregard a tormenting question: why the extreme delay at
the starting line? How is it that almost nothing happened for the first
seven-eighths of life's history? What kept the brakes locked down on
evolution, and what released them at long last, permitting an explosive
flowering from just four basic kinds of very ancient inner and outer body
design into 10 times as many, giving rise to everything we see and much
that is already extinct, like the dinosaurs?
           The Cambrian explosion took place between about 543 and 538
million years ago. Into those five million years were crammed all this
rococo fabrication of complex life's ground rules. Why so fast, and why so
long to get started? It would be neat and satisfying to resolve both
questions with one answer. Zoologist Andrew Parker, a Royal Society
research fellow at Oxford University, deemed by the Times one of the three
most important young scientists in the world, took an interesting shot at
the task seven years ago. His popular account is readily accessible to
non-scientists. Possibly too accessible, since he leaves out any pointers
to other research, except for some names mentioned in passing, which makes
it hard to follow up claims hotly contested by other experts. Still, his
book is richly crowded with altogether fascinating details, the very stuff
of polymathy: how our planet was frozen for hundreds of millions of years
under kilometers of ice, stopping life in its tracks; why the working
insides of animals vary more than their defensive shells; exactly what
causes the shimmering opalescence and iridescence of a pearl or a beetle's
wing.
           For Parker, the key to the Cambrian event was the long delay
before vision evolved. For vast stretches of time, creatures navigated and
sought prey (or evaded the hungry) using touch, smell, taste, magnetic
sensing: intimate and blurred. The world lay in fog. Then light-sensitive
patches on the skin evolved with striking swiftness into true eyes,
conscripting from other purposes the nerve wiring needed to turn images
into a map of the world. Parker calls the epoch when sight came into useful
focus the `Light Switch'. Once its switch was thrown, you could see others
across a crowded room (or pool, or paddock) and they could see you. Under
that spur, that naked transparency, natural selection was ruthless and
quick, testing and conserving a vast number of sighted creatures such as
trilobites, Parker's favorite candidate for the first eyed animal. It seems
he is wrong, though, since trilobites (as Cambridge zoologist Simon Conway
Morris argues) appeared as the Cambrian explosion was subsiding, not
igniting. Well, details, details. Parker's key idea is fresh and fertile
and fun.
           In the luminous shallows of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, he
ran into a dark brown cloud of cuttlefish ink. As it cleared, he faced
thirty of the animals, forming `an exact arc around me, tentacles to face,
eye to eye. Their brown bodies instantaneously bleached as I moved toward
them... [then] displayed a wave of color changes. Brown and white
synchronized undulations... suddenly a `loud' red...a calming green as I
retreated... their eyes remained silver, like mirrors' (4). This is
deliciously vivid, exactly capturing how crucial the sense of sight has
become since the first clear-lensed eye opened half a billion years ago.[1]
           Even if eyes were the crucial breakthrough to explosive
diversity, why did they take so long to arrive? My guess, reading toward
the end of this detective story, was that air or water had perhaps long
been murky, and cleared with a change in the environment. Either that, or
the great slow orbit of the solar system into the dusty arms of the galaxy
and out again might have modified the intensity of the Sun's light. Parker
tries all these notions, and more, but fails to find a totally satisfying
culprit. Still, his theory insists that there must be one, and so provokes
a new and exciting scientific quest.

[1] In his efforts to be lucid as well as engaging, Parker does sometimes
slip into unintended comedy. `Chemical detectors,' he explains carefully,
`detect chemicals' (282).