[extropy-chat] Project anyone?

Kat Walsh mindspillage at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:44:36 UTC 2006

On 1/18/06, kevinfreels.com <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:
>  Has anyone considered building a piece of software which would allow a user
> to hum a few parts of a tune and have the software provide a list of
> possible songs along with clips of the song itself? Would some level of AI
> provide better results than brute force pattern recognition?

Try searching for the phrase "query by humming" and see what comes up.
In short, yes, often considered; there are several demos out though
most only work on a small corpus yet, and may not give good
suggestions depending on various factors including how badly you hum!

The Music Information Retrieval bibliography search
<http://www.music-ir.org/research_home.html> can point you to some
work on the topic, though I'm not up enough on it to go ahead and pick
out the good ones for you.

-Kat
musician and longtime lurker

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage | (G)AIM:LucidWaking
"Once you have tasted flight you will always walk with your eyes cast