[extropy-chat] WSJ: A Cold Calculus Leads Cryonauts To Put Assets on Ice

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 01:39:34 UTC 2006

Actually, I think the debate gets much more complex.  I don't think being
buried with the cash would have a significant effect due to the fact that
the government is printing tons of the stuff (even if they are borrowing it
from China).

If its being invested it makes a big difference whether you are investing it
in a nanotech investment fund (which is *really* investing in nanotechnology
and not nanohype) vs. say U.S. automobile manufacturers or in the not so
distant future the "old-mentality" phone companies.  It also makes a
difference whether one confines the investment to U.S. $ or opts for an
international currency mix.  That in turn tends to relate to how hard (and
where) one thinks various aspects of the singularity may hit.

The path you choose determines whether you come back a rich person or much
more likely (IMO) a relatively poor person (if you haven't kept up with the
singularity).  It isn't enough to simply index to the economy -- anyone
slightly more willing to take risks or come up with a slightly better idea
or strategy is going to come out way ahead.  Case in point, look at Brin &
Page vs. Gates, Ellison & Jobs (new money vs. "old" money).  They are way
past Steve, combined are more than Larry and stand a good chance of closing
in on Bill.

It is worth noting that the money managers who earn the "big bucks",
including those who manage the endowments for Harvard, Yale, etc. are
managing returns of something like 14-18%/yr.  I would guess that the
average frozen person's assets are probably getting 1/2 to 1/3 of that.

Designing a *good* investment strategy for what is coming and taking into
accout the various reanimation scenarios is *not* easy and I would argue
that most people who would be tasked with doing it (today) are likely to
significantly underperform the rate of growth that the singularity may
bring.  [How many investment strategies detail precisely *when* you turn the
money over to a self-evolving, improving AI investment fund manager?]

Robert