Perpetuities (was Re: [extropy-chat] WSJ: A Cold Calculus LeadsCryonauts To Put Assetson Ice)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 04:50:59 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Keith M. Elis
> Subject: Perpetuities (was Re: [extropy-chat] WSJ: A Cold Calculus
> LeadsCryonauts To Put Assetson Ice)
>
> The heirs (in the US) have a case:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_against_perpetuities
>
> "About half of the states in the United States follow the Uniform
> Statutory Rule Against Perpetuities, which gives a grantor 90 years for
> the interest to vest. If the interest does not vest to some life in
> being within 90 years, the grant will be reformed judicially so it does
> vest."  Keith

There is high risk that government revolution or other
circumstances would make one's paper holdings
worthless while one is in the old nitrogen bath.  Last
time around with this topic, we discussed storing
wealth in the form of precious metals, buried in a
secret location with GPS coordinates somehow bonded to a
tooth.  One could imagine that the best bet to hide one's
gold would be on BLM land, such as that large tract out
west of Roseburg Oregon.  If such practice as burying
gold or platinum became common, perhaps it could cause
cryonics to be discouraged or even outlawed.