[extropy-chat] google toons

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:22:53 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> One hears an unknown song that one likes, listens for a
> few bars of the lyrics such as yakkity yak and bla bla.  One
> goes into google and enters: song lyrics yakkity yak and
> bla bla.  The song comes up.
>
> OK what if one is a musician and hears a tune that
> doesn't have lyrics (most of my favorite songs do
> not).  But one can play a few bars on one's
> instrument.  How could we make a google-like search
> engine that would allow us to store tunes on the
> internet and find them?  Ideas?

http://www.songtapper.com/s/tappingmain.bin

"Let's say you have a song stuck in your head, and you don't know the name
of it. Never fear! Load up our search
screen<http://www.songtapper.com/s/tappingmain.bin?dotap=1>,
and try tapping the *rhythm* of the song on your space bar while humming the
tune. Tap the space bar for each *syllable* that you sing. It's that simple"

http://querybyhum.cs.nyu.edu/

"A Query by Humming system allows the user to find a song by humming part of
the tune. No musical training is needed. The idea is simple: you hum into
the microphone, the computer records the hum and extracts certain features
corresponding to the melody and rhythm characteristics, and it then compares
the features to the features of the songs in the database. Finally it
returns a ranked list of the songs or song segments most similar to the
humming."

Other systems:
http://querybyhum.cs.nyu.edu/index.php?p=others