Perpetuities (was Re: [extropy-chat] WSJ: A Cold Calculus LeadsCryonauts To Put Assetson Ice)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Jan 25 10:49:08 UTC 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 8:50 PM, spike wrote:

> There is high risk that government revolution or other
> circumstances would make one's paper holdings
> worthless while one is in the old nitrogen bath.  Last
> time around with this topic, we discussed storing
> wealth in the form of precious metals, buried in a
> secret location with GPS coordinates somehow bonded to a
> tooth.  One could imagine that the best bet to hide one's
> gold would be on BLM land, such as that large tract out
> west of Roseburg Oregon.  If such practice as burying
> gold or platinum became common, perhaps it could cause
> cryonics to be discouraged or even outlawed.

huh?   There aren't that many interested and  probably never will
be.  There aren't many interested in savings in any form.  I hardly
think this is any real problem.   Besides gold and platinum are
useless across a singularity.  With even pre-AI and pre-nanotech
technology improvements it should be possible soon to get all the
precious metal you could dream of out of near-earth asteroids.   Such
metals will not be scarce for too long into the future and thus such
caches will likely be valueless.

- samantha