[extropy-chat] Cryonics should be preserving life, not just identity.

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 27 05:33:25 UTC 2006

>From my blog:
"Cogito ergo sum" - René Descartes

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it
through not dying." - Woody Allen

Life is a subjective experience of being in the present. Death is a
subjective experience of nothingess.

Life is powered by an activity of matter in space and time. Even though life
depends on the existence of matter, it's only the activity of that matter in
time and space that causes life to exist.

And this:
http://sl4.org/archive/0510/12465.html

I fully subscribe to "the thread view" that Russell Wallace mentioned
earlier. (BTW, nice term, although I'm not sure if non-programmers would
fully appreciate it. In my writings about the topic I refer to "the thread"
simply as "life".)

Cryonics makes no sense if it tries to preserve the identity of the original
while forgetting to preserve the *life* of the original.

sp