[extropy-chat] Semantics + Re: Identity and becoming a Great Old One

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Fri Jan 27 14:22:24 UTC 2006

Yes, there are a few flavors of Dualism, but they are all based on
Plato, and distinct enough. I am more into being wrong than right,
believe me - but the pattern view you are talking about is pretty
much Neutral Monism. The threaded view is a type of dualism, and in
some extreme examples arguably Parallelism or (egh) Phenominalism.

And the reason I bring this up, again, is while interacting with the
rest of the world, wanting them to understand things like the
Proactionary Principle and such, we need to reduce terms to basics
and only claim what is our own as new. Coming to the table saying we
espouse the "Threaded View" and the other party returning "You mean
Cartesian Dualism?" would not strengthen our standing.

So hey- If  you get a chance, I am not asking to be catered to - it
would help a great deal all involved if the distinctions between
Threaded and Patterned, Dualism and Monism could be illustrated by
examples that would not make them so.

At worst, you have a new Dualism an Monism here ; )

Bret K.