[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading--reversible

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Jan 30 04:41:07 UTC 2006

At 06:21 PM 1/29/2006 -0600, Damien wrote:
>At 07:00 PM 1/29/2006 -0500, Slawomir wrote:
>
>>  The copy will be me in the sense that it will carry the same identity.
>> Still, I will not be experiencing the life of the copy. The original
>> will experience his own life.
>
>Exactly. Or not, assuming destructive copying.

Would it help confuse this issue even further if uploading was
reversible?  Say as a side effect of doctor boxes.

You walk into one of these things and your body gets infiltrated with
nanomachines.  Your consciousness runs in a brain simulation, but while
your body is being patched up your personal experiences in the simulation
are being used to update your wetware brain,  When the repair work is
finished, you can just wonder out and your conscious experiences merges
with and continues to run in your physical body.

This business of destructive uploads just isn't going to play in the market
(for anyone besides Hans), and, in my estimation, the technology to do
reversible uploading of this kind isn't any harder technically than a
destructive upload.

Keith Henson