[extropy-chat] Re: Faith-based thought vs thinkers

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 00:54:27 UTC 2006

On 1/31/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> In any case, you seem to have missed the point of my objection:
> assigning a high probability to love is a type error.

Of course it is, which is why I didn't do so. In English, "I believe in X"
where X is a value rather than an empirical proposition, does not mean "I
assign a high probability to X", it means something like "I take as an axiom
that X is to be valued". (If your objection is that English is fuzzy, I will
remind you that it evolved for the use of humans, not AI programs.)

- Russell