[extropy-chat] carver

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 4 21:37:50 UTC 2006

In the debates over alternate motor fuels such as alcohol, the factor I
often see neglected is the enormous capacity to downsize the typical ape
hauler.  Perhaps we get in this trap because there is a definite limit to
how short and how narrow a four wheeler can go while maintaining a modicum
of stability.  But a design like this one has a lot of potential to be way
downsized:

http://www.carver-worldwide.com/SubItem/SubItem.asp?S_ID=33

The Dutch have a great idea here.  I thought so when I first saw it at a
motorcycle show nearly 15 years ago.  The Carver is a much larger version of
the vehicle I have in mind.  Go over some of the specs, you will see that it
weighs only a little less than my 86 Honda Accord, and gets only a little
better fuel economy.

But a pivoting frame three-wheeler can be downsized more than any four wheel
or rigid frame three wheel design.  The front wheel need not carry a side
load, so the assembly can be made lighter, while allowing a round profile
lower rolling resistance tire like motorcycle wheels.  The frame can be made
lighter since it needs to carry lower torsion loads.

The Carver is a hotrod, but we can imagine something far more modest, such
as a twin cylinder ~100cc internal combustion engine turning a generator
with electric direct drive on both rear wheels for a true series hybrid.
This configuration allows excellent weight loss, if we are willing to accept
the very leisurely acceleration and pokey top speeds this design would
yield.  I can imagine configurations that would offer double the fuel
economy of this Carver, if we accept performance numbers far below those to
which we have grown so fondly accustomed.