[extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 4 22:14:04 UTC 2006

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 1:37 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do

On Jul 2, 2006, at 2:34 AM, Robert Bradbury wrote:

On 7/2/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

Remember that once we get our own gram of civilization each, our
motivations and knowledge are likely to greatly change. I doubt that
doing a Star Trek, conquer the universe will seem very attractive...

Finally, somebody understands why Matrioshka Brains don't tend to colonize!
... Robert

All of our speculation will someday no doubt be very amusing to actual
posthumans. - samantha

Our speculations are very amusing to actual humans now.  Recall we had a
thread on this topic about 5 years ago that Robert started.  It was about
the value of future thought vs present thought.  That lead me to derive a
mathematical model of sorts, from which I became convinced that it wouldn't
be worth the energy and matter for an M-brain to bother communicating with
another nearby M-brain.

We see something analogous to this situation can be seen with seasoned
veteran internet users vs new guys.  When someone uses a peculiar term (such
as M-brain) the newby will ask what is an M-brain.  The vet will google on
it.  The new guy has to wait hours for a response, the vet will invest a
modicum of effort and find the answer in a couple minutes.

Similarly, an M-brain may find it much more energy and time efficient to
actually calculate the answer M-self than to send a signal across space and
wait for an answer.

Can anyone locate that thread from way back?

spike

Hey, M-self, that's clever.  I trademark that term.  Then I donate it to the
memesphere.