[extropy-chat] My Dilemma

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 23:28:39 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been struggling with an issue for a few months now, ever since I
> first learned about the Singularity and its myriad implications. My dilemma
> is that I'm not sure that I should try to inform and educate my friends and
> loved ones about the Singularity.

I think "tell the truth and shame the devil" is a good guideline.

I also think, however, that the truth is that the more extreme
Singularitarian predictions are about the human predilection to believe in
doomsday/nirvana scenarios rather than the actual future.

So I wouldn't say "nanotech is going to create magic utility fog that'll
give everyone godlike powers" or "AI is going to take over the world and
upload everyone into paradise". I would say "nanomedicine has the potential
to repair bodily deterioration rather than just patch over the symptoms, so
we can be enjoying life at age 90 rather than drooling down our chins in
nursing homes", "molecular manufacturing has the potential to make it
economically feasible to switch from an energy economy based on fossil fuels
to one based on solar power" and "AI has the potential to create smart
computer systems that can help us deal with the flood of information today's
dumb computers are helping us create".

Not just because the latter statements are less scary than the former, but
more importantly because they have a far better chance of being true.