[extropy-chat] Psychology of investments in infrastructure

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 01:48:00 UTC 2006

This discussion went off in a direction other than what I had in mind.  We
are getting caught up in ethnic origin too much as evidenced by the terms
Hispanics and whites.  The focus is on the primary language spoken in the
home, regardless of the genetics.

On the US west coast, we have a lot of immigration from Asia.  Mandarin and
schezwan speakers are able to pick up Spanish much more easily than English
I am told.  If it came to a vote, many may choose Spanish as a language of
choice, for good reason.  As a native English speaker, even I can see that
Spanish is relatively easy to learn.  It has a far smaller vocabulary, it is
more consistent, the spelling mostly phonetic, fewer ambiguous words, easier
to learn by osmosis.