[extropy-chat] My Dilemma

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jul 6 09:14:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 11:58:34PM +0100, BillK wrote:

> You could also make a case that the war in Iraq will save millions of
> lives by driving the Singularity technology forward. Research on
> robotic vehicles, robot bomb investigators, robots to go into tunnels,
> robot flying vehicles, new weaponry, new medical facilities, new
> bionic limbs, new armor technology, new radars, nano technology,
> computer systems, ..... the list goes on. There is a vast amount being
> invested in pushing research on as fast as possible to support the war
> in Iraq.

I find vindicating technical progress by killing people and destroying
infrastructure morally abhorrent.

Besides, the motivations and capabilities of intelligent technologies
to come out of military lab are most likely to produce a Singularity
a la SkyNet. I'm not sure "saving millions of lives" would be the result...