[extropy-chat] In the Long Run, How Much Does Intelligence Dominate Space?

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Thu Jul 6 12:24:14 UTC 2006

At 08:05 PM 7/5/2006, you wrote:
> > single will imposing rules doesn't strike me as the only or even the
> > best way of describing what goes on.  More like the Dutch government
>
>However, the point that seems to be remaining here between what you
>have written and what I wrote is a question of integrity: just how
>much wholeness is (or are!) an entity to be supposed to consist of?
>
>Consider again a housewife: yes, her intelligence is also composed
>(we surmise) of competing tendencies and hypotheses, but it is
>proper to regard her as a single entity.  ...

Among the usual variation around us it is not hard to identify
"single entities".
But among the sort of variation we imagine for future creatures, I find it
much harder to figure out that "single entity" means.   So like Damien, I
prefer to use terminology, like coordination scale, that seems more
robust in such situations.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323