[extropy-chat] italian football victory

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:25:16 UTC 2006

> Please offer me some insight if you have one.  It appears that Italian
> Americans are proud to be Italian, but French Americans are not proud to be
> French.  Why is that?  Those two countries are neighbors, genetically the
> people are about the same, they have similar population and standards of
> living.  Why the asymmetry?
>
> spike

Perhaps it's because it's not cool to be French in US after Iraq war started. Or
maybe it has to do with the recent history of this French team. In 1998, France won
the World Cup for the very first time. They also won European Championship two
years later. In other words, in two year span they have accomplished everything
there is to accomplish in international football. This team had nothing to prove
anymore, and since then, perhaps the French public hasn't been as hungry for
success as before 1998. Contrast that with Italians who haven't won the World Cup
since 1982. Their recent success was not expected, therefore, probably more
exhilarating for the Italian public so they were more likely to share that joy with
others than the French.

But the French should be proud of this brilliant team. IMO, they played the best
football in this tournament and only bad luck prevented them from winning again.

H.