[extropy-chat] Nothing happens "was transhumanist nut jobs"

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 06:11:30 UTC 2006

On 7/16/06, Anne-Marie Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I'm curious to know how things happen then?
> If nobody is paying attention to the future and halts and replies,
> "Nothing happens until it happens", how do humans prepare for such a
> technological future as well as a transhumanist point of view?

One day at a time.

We like to believe we can make grand plans, and sometimes we even can;
however, successful plans tend to be either detailed or long-term but _not_
both simultaneously - the future isn't that predictable.

What we do is, we hold general principles that history tells us we can rely
on - knowledge is better than ignorance, progress is better than stagnation
and decline. Then within that, we set ourselves to individual tasks that
will contribute in some way to those long-term goals. We work, each of us at
our chosen task, one day at a time; and we discover the future, one day at a
time.