[extropy-chat] Singularity heat waste

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 16:19:07 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/17/06, Russell Wallace wrote:
> >  How do ostrich eggs manage with just a single compact membrane to
> service
> > (eventually) trillions of cells worth of living tissue, then? (Not a
> > rhetorical question, I'm curious as to the answer.)
> >

> :)  You know the answer to this question.
>
> Eggs are a huge store of food. That's why they are good for breakfast.

I'm thinking of the oxygen supply (and CO2 in the other direction).

The developing chick gets air through the shell.

Yes, which means it has to diffuse through a single compact membrane, which
means it takes the cube-square law hit. If an ostrich egg can get by like
that, how would it be a limiting factor on the size of eukaryote cells?

A gigantic M brain would probably need internal power sources also.

The obvious solution is to build it in the form of a Dyson sphere.