[extropy-chat] Melanzane alla Parmigiana (Eggplant Parmigiana) (was: The Extropy of Cooking)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Jul 23 04:24:30 UTC 2006

Cooking Report:

My crop of all the plant ingredients came in and I tried this recipe,
plus a little experimentation as well.  In short, Amara's basic
recipe is an *excellent* baseline, and the best rendition of this
classic dish that I have ever had.  It was universally liked across
my taste-testing audience that was subjected to it.  There were a
couple points where the instructions were a bit sparse, but after the
first attempt, the corrections were easy.  I made about a 2/3 recipe,
which served approximately 6 people.  It is worth noting that the
caloric density of this recipe, as best I can compute it, is quite
low despite the cheese and similar.

Some notes based on my experience:

- The tomatoes need to be significantly reduced (certainly more than
my first attempt) to come out right.  The construction of this dish
interferes with evaporation, so counting on reduction in the oven
will make a very watery result.  For the most part, any reduction
that needs to happen should happen on the stove.  I do most of my
work on the stove, so my relative lack of oven cooking experience bit
me here.

- Per Amara's instructions, I used "a lot" of fresh basil from the
backyard which turned out excellent.  Extremely coarse chopping is
all that is needed (the leaves on my plants get huge), and it behaves
almost like spinach in the dish.  Don't be shy with the quantity, it
works great.  It is unlikely that one will find it sold in grocery
stores in quantities so large that you should have leftovers.  It
would be really difficult to ruin this with too much basil.  I have
about 20 very happy basil plants which fortunately provide all the
basil I need.

- I would reduce the cooking temperature to 300F and increase the
typical cooking time to more like an hour.  As with most dishes of
this type, the cooking time is defined by the point where the water
in the top layer evaporates sufficiently to allow caramelization.
When the top starts to caramelize, it is done.  Amara made mention of
it, but I will reinforce it: this dish is better behaved when cooked
slowly.

- This is an eminently hackable recipe.  If you like the basic
flavors, there is no reason at all that some addition flavors cannot
be added in the layers.  I like it exactly how it is, but I can
easily imagine a half dozen different tasty modifications.  It
actually needed a bit of salt (or salt sources) in my preparation,
which I compensated for.

Overall, a really proper and basic recipe that is a worthwhile
addition to any repertoire.  I have certainly added it to mine.

Out of curiosity, do Europeans cook in Celsius?  While I know
everything is metric for the weights and measures, I don't recall
ever seeing many cooking temperatures in anything but Fahrenheit.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers