[extropy-chat] FWD [fantasticreality] Nice Summary of Problems of the self-denoted "Cultural Elites"

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Jul 23 21:28:49 UTC 2006

On Jul 23, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:
> (3) Decommercialization of military spending, ie taking the profit out
> of the defense "business".  Just as individual citizens can be
> conscripted to perform military service, so to the production of
> defense-related products and services should be *conscripted* --
> seized/compelled.  Without profit, war would be severly
> disincentive-ized.

There are a few serious practical problems with this.

The first global problem is that there are a couple sovereign states
of significant size that significantly rely on military exports for
their economic health, Russia being the most notorious but hardly the
only one.  Of the major exporters this is probably the least true of
the US, primarily because the US occupies a special place in the
weapon development market.  Stopping profit-taking on this scale will
be essentially impossible.  During the first Gulf War, it was widely
rumored in geopolitical academia that USSR acquiescence was achieved
on the matter of Iraq because the US led coalition was only going to
destroy all the military hardware of one of their best customers but
not eliminate the customer, creating a rich new sales opportunity for
weaponry when their economy desperately needed it.  (The USSR and
Russia have frequently been suspected of fomenting conflicts in their
export markets solely for the purpose of boosting sales.)

The second major problem is that you cannot conscript an advanced
weapons R&D program at will.  If it is not an ongoing concern in
peacetime, it will come up very short in wartime.  As is in evidence
in two World Wars, it takes months to years to get things going from
a standing start, and during those first years it can cost a country
dearly.  These days, wars tend to be shorter than the war development
ramp-up time, so if you do not already have something you never will
for useful purposes.  For obvious reasons, no vaguely decent
government can conscript entire industries indefinitely.  The term
for that is "nationalizing" and has consistently produced poor
results.  Remember, the USSR actually did what you are proposing for
a long time.

The third issue is exclusivity, regulation, and market realities.
Before the development of a defense research industry to address the
second point in the 1930s and 1940s, most of the best weapon designs
were private commercial developments sold to anyone with money which
were adapted to the military later.[1]  While this was extremely
efficient economically, it seriously blunted any meaningful
technological advantage a military might have as technology became an
increasingly decisive factor.  Combined with broad regulatory schemes
that effectively killed non-governmental weapon R&D in the mid-20th
century, privately-funded commercial military development became a
grossly inefficient enterprise.

To a significant extent, we have the setup we have today because it
has been mandated in the US with no other practical ways to meet the
government's objectives given a market and regulatory scheme that the
majority of people want.  For the military R&D necessary to maintain
an advantage to continue, there has to be a customer.  It used to be
the American public and foreign countries, but both of these markets
have been eliminated through strict regulation.  That leaves only one
plausible commercial market for funding peacetime R&D: the US
government.  If  no customer exists, the work simply won't be done
which has practical long-term geopolitical consequences.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers

[1]  The common usage of military adoption dates to denote a
particular weapon design in the first half of the 20th century and
prior (e.g. Model 1903 Springfield) creates a common misconception
that the weapon was designed or first available around that time when
in fact many so designated weapons were sold to the general public
for many years prior to military adoption.  For example, the famous
Model 1911 .45 pistol was based on a gun Colt had been selling to the
public since 1905.  That most weapon technology and development was
done by private ventures with private money until relatively recently
is almost inconceivable now because of how the industry has been
reshaped.  Most weapon design and research done today is done for a
specific military contract.