[extropy-chat] FWD [fantasticreality] Nice Summary of Problems of the self-denoted "Cultural Elites"

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 24 10:31:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 01:12:40PM -0400, Keith Henson wrote:

> We know how, and there is more than one way to do it.  I favor power sats,
> but there are various ways to do it with fission.  I suspect though that as

You actually just need to bring PV prices down by a considerable factor
(don't remember how much precisely, probably around 5). This is going to
happen on its own with novel thin-film/organic PV in a time frame of
10-15 years.

Thermal solar is already better than fossil, and in many places wind
power is competive. In some place, geothermal is cost-competitive to
natural gas (I expect to save considerable amounts on heating in
the next 20 years, because of projected natural gas prices and infrastructure
maintenance costs).