[extropy-chat] Funding situation for stem cell research in the EU

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 16:42:29 UTC 2006

Of course there is a religious anti-progress component as in the US.
In EU this component has not achieved power so far (let's keep fingers
crossed for the future). You may remember a couple of years ago when
there was a debate on whether to include in the late lamented EU
constitution a reference to the Xian heritage of Europe. The decision
was not to include it.
You must understand that the EU does not have any decision power
independent of member states. Despite all nice words and lip service
to a EU integration that nobody really wants, nation states yield all
power. In the debate on stem cells there were nations in favor and
nations against - fortunately the former have prevailed so far.
Damien: indeed, you can have any omelette you like as long as you
don't break any eggs making it. The eggs must have already been broken
by someone else.
G.