[extropy-chat] Fortune: the future of computing

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 28 14:50:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 03:56:29PM +0200, scerir wrote:

> Is this the first step to establish a world-wide network
> (or many world-wide networks) for quantum communication?
>
> http://www.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0607182

I don't see the point of communicating by entangled
photon pairs, I must admit. In terms of cryptography,
that's snake oil. Throughput is awful (single-photon
sources) even over short distances, and so is
susceptibility to disturbances.

So what is the point of quantum communication over
long distances? (I would see the point for short
distances, for QC).