[extropy-chat] Fortune: the future of computing

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 28 21:35:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 08:39:42PM +0200, scerir wrote:

> ### Essentially the point is the possibility
> of establishing a global quantum communication
> network, via a space-based distribution
> of entangled pairs. One potential advantage
> could be that quantum communication provides
> means to establish a (more) secure communication.

I realize the current niche is to distribute classic
symmetric session keys with claimed MITM detection. I call
bullshit, because an one-time pad for that purpose
would be both more convenient and also provably
immune against quantum telecloning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_cloning_theorem
http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/6/3/21
http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/10/2/15/1

The claim is that physical laws protect link
integrity against eavesdropping, but that assumes
we both know what the laws are and all aspects of
attacks.

Admittedly, financial institutions appear to not
be immune to quantum crypto snake oil scams.
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0312.html#6

> So a quantum global network would be (more) secure.

I don't think any evidence points that way.

Thanks for your other points -- though I have a
hard time following.