[extropy-chat] META: att.net users, you might need a different ISP

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Jul 31 12:15:20 UTC 2006

BillK
>I think the theory behind such drastic blocking is that it might
>persuade the ISP (andromeda.ziaspace.com, in this case) to clean up its
>act and stop distributing spam to the world.

This blacklisting situation has many repercussions. The ISP I use at
home: "Fastweb" is the only robust, high bandwidth (high quality)
DSL Internet service provider available in Italy.

Unfortunately:

>  -------------------------------------------------- 3.5
>  RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net [Blocked
>  - see <http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?85.18.14.16>] 1.2 RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB
>      RBL: SORBS: sender is a abuseable web server [85.18.14.16 listed in
>  dnsbl.sorbs.net] 0.6 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real
>  name
>  1.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS          RCVD_IN_SORBS

my ISP is also listed as a spammer in the databases that spamassassin
uses in their spam determination. There is not much I can do about this
situation except explain to my colleagues and friends that when I am
working/writing from my home, that my ISP is blacklisted, and to
please add my email address to their list of accepted senders. I wonder
how widespread is this for all of the 'generic' ISPs. Perhaps very
widespread, especially for the newish ISPs in undeveloped markets,
who have little experience (and no incentive) to solve the spam
problem.

Amara