[extropy-chat] META: att.net users, you might need a different ISP

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 31 17:29:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:59:00AM -0500, Brian Atkins wrote:

> I hope ziaspace is going to take steps to correct this situation, including if
> necessary asking their colo provider to provide a new, non-blacklisted, IP
> address for this box, or at least for the lists.extropy.org hostname. I'm sure

To be perfectly frank: that's actually not ziaspace's problem. The problem lies
squarely with whoever uses RBLs to bounce messages. Taking RBL input
to compute spam scores is perfectly legitimate, however. RBLs are
chronically inaccurate (at times deliberately, maliciously so, to
enforce a political point of an RBL operator, and the only option users should take if
they realize their ISP is using them, and they're losing messages because of it
is to 1) require a policy change 2) if refused, escalate the process
as high as you can, and if still unsuccessful terminate their
contract, citing the reason (ISP's braindead RBL policy).

> that ziaspace's customers expect to be able to send mail to the
> internet-at-large, not some arbitrary unknown subset, and as a member of this

Right. Complain to RBLs (they discard these, or actually taunt you, if you
try). Make your ISP drop braindead policies. Failing that, drop your ISP
for one with more clue.

> list I have to say this hurts the value of it, and I think it should be fixed
> rather than giving up. If ziaspace is totally unwilling to help, then as a last
> measure the list should consider moving IMO.

I have a pristine /24 network. I guarantee you it's in some braindead RBL,
or will be, should I start using it. For instance, if I would start running
a Tor server (with port 25 blocked in the exit policy) you will find your
entire network in an RBL or a couple, even if you run no mail server at all.
Reason? Some RBL operators don't like Tor, and will deliberately lie to their
customers that that network is a spam source. I think such RBL operators
are worse than spammers, obviously.