[extropy-chat] spamming ISPs like Fastweb (was: META: att.net users, you might need a different ISP)

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Jul 31 18:54:51 UTC 2006

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com :
>1. Switch your email address to some kind of free web-based email provider,
>gmail, etc. At least when sending messages.

>2. Get your own domain name and stick it somewhere cheap like 1and1.com that
>includes basic email functionality.

Dear Brian,

I don't see how this solves the problem. You see it is my base-level IP
connection, not the IP where is amara.com or ifsi-roma.inaf.it -- These
are my email addresses I use when I write and work at home. To make
clear, frequently when I need to send business mail I use the web
interface at ifsi and the mail is sent out from there. But the IP I am
using to connect me is part of the header information that spambouncer,
spamassassin etc. uses in order to check if the mail contains spam.

Here is a related funny story. I have another email: amara at psi.edu for
my position at the Planetary Science Institute. The PSI administrator
put a forward on that email address so that it forwards my PSI mail to
my personal amara.com. On amara.com, I use spambouncer for filtering all
of my incoming mail, which looks up the blacklisted domains too.

When I tested amara at psi.edu, I sent from my home (amara.com), as usual
connected with my spamming ISP : "Fastweb". And can you guess what
happened? My spambouncer trapped my mail, tagging it as spam!

amara at amara.com sending to myself at amara at psi.edu is a spammer.. ;-)

(OK, one of those things that is only funny if you were there....)

Amara