[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jun 1 04:02:30 UTC 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 11:05 AM, A B wrote:

> This depends on one factor. If this is a simulation, then either I
> am the only sentient, or there are multiple to many sentients
> within it (I think the latter would be more probable). If I am the
> only sentient, then I say to my simulators: "I would prefer not to
> be your unequal slave. Please liberate me from this simulation and
> allow me to live as an equal among you. If you are unwilling to do
> this, then please end my simulation forthwith and do not implement
> me again."

Who says this is even possible much less a reasonable request?  It
may not be possible for you to the equal to the simulating
intelligence[s] and remotely remain you or even the same general type
of being.  What do you mean exactly by "equality"?  Equal in all
abilities and knowledge, equal under what passes for law, equal in
freedom of choice, what?  Why do you equate being somehow unequal
with being a slave?

> If there are multiple sentients within this simulation, then I
> would say: "Please allow all sentients within this simulation to be
> liberated and live as equals among you. I'm pretty sure they would
> prefer that, instead of being your slaves. However, if any
> sentients willfully object to being liberated then please allow
> them to remain as your slaves. Furthermore, if many sentients exist
> within this simulation then please do not selectively remove me
> from it and leave the rest behind, I might be able in some small
> way to alleviate some of the suffering that you have imposed.
> Sincerely, your involuntary slave - Jeffrey Herrlich."

Very flowery but is it meaningful and/or reasonable?

- samantha