[extropy-chat] Psychogenic Fields (was Role of MWI and Time Travel)

Martin Striz mstriz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 13:32:11 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> That being said, I think that the psychogenic field
> hypothesis is entirely testable. If it is correct then
> one would expect to be able to measure brain function
> from outside of the brain. Guess what? EEGs and
> magnetoencephalography do exactly that. Furthermore
> they do not involve introducing anything foreign into
> the brain. Sure does sound like they are measuring a
> field to me.
>
> You can say they are measuring "brain function" but
> that is only true by proxy. What they are measuring is
> electromagnetic flux issuing forth from the brain and
> extending OUTSIDE of the brain and using it to INFER
> function inside of the brain.

Chez watt?  No, the EEG records the sum total of voltage fluctuations
in the roughly direct line between two leads.  Placing a full spectrum
of leads around the scalp produces a fairly accurate read out of
global neural activity, accurate enough that specific waveforms can be
correlated to particular kinds of activity (wake, sleep, coma, etc.).
Many studies have verified this.

If you want an interesting hypothesis on consciousnes that provides an
empirical metric, try this:

http://striz.org/blog/?p=205

I have a number of references there.

Martin