[extropy-chat] More Measure is Better than Less (was Are ancestor simulations immoral?)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Fri Jun 2 02:17:32 UTC 2006

Russell writes

> Of course, one could argue that the simulated worlds are isomorphic
> to "real" worlds

Yes!  I've always found Bostrum-like speculations to be unclear
with regard to the word "this".  So far as I'm concerned, the
term "this" is a pointer, e.g., in C-parlance *this.

Unfortunately, it must be multi-valued. That is, if "this" is a
simulation and "this" is also an original in some world of the
Many Worlds, then "*this" is multiple-valued.

> so if the off switch were pressed, our threads of consciousness
> would necessarily continue forward anyway...

But!  With reduced measure!  Suppose as does Tegmark that there
is an identical you 10^10^29 away from here.  Then if someone
here who does not exist 10^10^29 from here kills you, then your
measure has gone down. You ought to consider that to be
undesirable.

(It is for that reason that I believe benefit to be totally additive:
the more copies of me running, the better for me.)

Lee