[extropy-chat] Transhumanist arrival?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 05:42:59 UTC 2006

bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bradbury
Subject: [extropy-chat] Transhumanist arrival?

>Believe it or not "Transhumanism" is the *featured* article of the day (2
Jun 2006) on Wikipedia [1,2].  Sure we can get air time at Stanford but it
strikes me as a sign of having "arrived" ... Robert

I took it as a sign of the times when I was up at Stanford with Anders last
weekend.  In the main Stanford campus bookstore, on a table right as you
walk in the door, most prime real estate in the place, they had set up a
sign identifying these books as "new and relevant".  It was a lot of the
stuff we have been discussing here for years, but what struck me is that two
authors had two books on that table: Hofstadter had Godel Escher Bach and
The Mind's I.  The other double represented author on that table was K.Eric
Drexler, with Nanosystems and Engines of Creation.  That one surprised me,
because even those of us who are hard core types realize Engines gets a bit
wild in places.  OK, so now that is new and relevant, and up front in the
Stanford book store.  Hofstadter's EGB is 27 years old now, and is still
considered new and relevant.

There was another book called "The Nanotech Pioneers: Where Are They Taking
Us?" by Steven A. Edwards.  Extropians are mentioned on pages 25 and 26, the
usual commentary on our being a techno-cult with strange ideas on living
forever through technological progress.  The founder is given as "Maximum
More."  That gave me a good laugh.  Max, have you ever been called Maximum
More?