[extropy-chat] Antarctica timezone(s)

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Sun Jun 4 11:31:34 UTC 2006

Amara Graps wrote:
> Ever wonder what time zones they use in Antarctica? Me too, especially
> since there are more than one station! I think that they don't visit
> each other often. ;-)
>
> http://www.statoids.com/taq.html
>
> I don't know why I find this interesting and amusing. I think that
> colonies on the Moon will face similar frontier timezone demarcations !

Not to mention martian time! http://pweb.jps.net/~tgangale/mars/

I wonder how much we can simply do away with tying the cyclic part of time
(days and years) to cyclic natural phenomena. On the moon days do not
work, so it is not too hard to have a clock unlinked to nature. On Mars,
sols probably do matter for most probes and visitors, so the clock need to
be linked.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics