[extropy-chat] Desirability of Singularity (was Are ancestor simulations immoral?)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 5 12:34:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 08:15:03AM +1000, Harry Harrison wrote:

> There won't be Singularity (note capital S), unless there is a sacking of a substantial new energy input which is hard to envisage. The effects of intelligence are otherwise limited to optimisations on energy inputs and we're not so far from the thermodynamic limit already.

I have three quibbles with that.

We already have a free, clean wireless source of fusion power.
All is needed is a cheap antenna. Things are even better
only slightly higher in this gravity well.

Human designs are ridiculously energy-inefficient, biology
shows what's practically feasible -- though by no means being
the end of the line.

Solid state civilisations are mostly about computation, and computation
has very few practical limits (with reversible computation,
even not thermodynamics).