[extropy-chat] Climate skepticism patterns

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:24:00 UTC 2006

At 05:08 PM 6/8/2006,  Hal Finney wrote:
> > > From what I can see, emissions reductions do not make economic sense
> > >at this time.
> >
> > Perhaps, but it seems to at least make sense to tax carbon at something
> > like its estimated externality cost on others.  A $14/tC tax might be a lot
> > less that some people want, an a zero tax might be better than those large
> > taxes people want, but the $14 tax would be better than either.  Then
> > you'd want to pay people who create those substitutes for reductions at
> > that same level, and if they come up with stuff great, if not fine too.
>
>I see two problems with this.  ... Kyoto ... is full of exceptions
>and subsidies
>that make it highly inefficient ... While a uniform carbon tax would be much
>better, it is questionable whether our present global institutions can come up
>with anything better than Kyoto.

Yes of course, an inefficient non-uniform tax could be worse than no tax.

>The second problem is that there will probably be ways of solving the
>problem for much less than $14/tC, hence charging people that much today
>is inefficient.  ...  Teller claims that a ONE-TIME set-aside
>today of 1.74 billion dollars would generate enough interest in 50 years
>to indefinitely fund a stratospheric shield.

It depends on our confidence in these lowering prices.   I wouldn't
just want to
talk Teller's word for it, though I'd probably believe a prediction
market.  Paying
more than we needed to might not be near as bad as not doing as much as
we should have.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323