[extropy-chat] Climate skepticism patterns

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 10 05:32:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 03:55:26AM +0200, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> Besides, have anybody calculated how we rate compared to K/T and Perm? I
> think we still are within the normal noise rate of species/megayear?

More like 100-10,000 times the normal rate.  Possibly comparable to K/T,
especially if things go on.  Google on [species extinction rate] or
http://www.grist.org/advice/books/2001/12/12/point/

Climate change, exotic species introductions, habitat destruction which
has non-linear effects due to fragmentation, overhunting/fishing.
Gorillas and orangs and bonobos are on the brink, chimps not much
better.  We're burning biological libraries accumulated over millions of
years, thousands or millions, of Alexandrias going up in smoke.

http://www.well.com/~davidu/extinction.html

"Half of all species extinct in 100 years."  "One-fifth could disappear
in 30 years."  "The Sixth Extinction".

-xx- Damien X-)