[extropy-chat] Extinctions

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 12 02:41:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 02:25:07AM +0200, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> > "Just" roof (I imagine connected roofs or small domes are much easier
> > than a Big Dome) over an existing city.  A moderately smart system could
> > change albedo and ventilation, and presumably cut heating and cooling
> > (and road clearing) costs a lot.  In summer have a mix of reflectors and
> > open spaces, blocking sunlight and letting hot air escape; in winter
> > have a transparent and greenhousey solid layer.
>
> What about car exhaust smog and smoke from fires? Reducing the circulation
> in the local microclimate might be a problem. Another issue is how to

Hmm.  Originally I'd specified fans, but deleted it.  Properly done
you'd have artificial circulation with heat exchangers.  More cheaply, I
wonder how much good a roof without walls might do; you'd still get to
control sunlight and greenhouse effects.

> direct rainfall, which is already a problem in cities (cities are great at
> collecting and diverting rainfall, unfortunately polluting it in the
> process). Most cities need it to keep clean and for the green areas.

Some places might choose to let it in, others might dump it and use
irrigation or sprinklers.  "Get back from the club before rainfall,
dear."  "God mom, I *know*."

-xx- Damien X-)